Every practicing Nurse and Midwife needs Professional Indemnity Insurance (PII).
Professional Indemnity Insurance (PII) coverage is part of ANMF NT membership. If you are an independent practitioner * please contact the ANMF NT to determine whether you are covered. Appropriate PII arrangements are essential for all practising nurses and midwives.
Since 1 July, 2010 the Health Practitioner Regulation National Law (ACT 2009) has imposed a specific obligation on nurses and midwives not to practice unless appropriate PII arrangements are in force in relation to their practice. A failure to comply with this obligation will not only expose nurses and midwives in the event of negligence to the potential for uninsured civil liability, but may expose them to a charge of unprofessional conduct.
Any Nurse or Midwife:
- could be wrongfully accused of unprofessional conduct in both administration and clinical roles
- could mistakenly give the wrong drug to a patient
- could fail to accurately carry out all instructions for care in a busy ward
- could be involved in a court case even if only indirectly, or witness an accident
- could make a mistake because of workload stress, insufficient information or any other reason
The ANMF NT Branch's PII protects ANMF NT Branch members:
- If you are sued for negligence or malpractice
- If you are required to give evidence at a coronial inquest
Members of the ANMF NT Branch who are undertaking nursing, midwifery and aged care workers are covered by Professional Indemnity - $10,000,000 any one Claim and in the aggregate (with four reinstatements).
This is the most cost effective way for nurses, midwives and aged care workers to ensure they are covered at work.
* Please note that midwives in independent practice are not eligible for cover.
1/12/2022 - To obtain a copy of your Professional Indemnity Insurance over the next few months whilst ANMF NT are upgrading the membership database and website
Please email email@example.com